- Various small animals or insects, such as rats or cockroaches, that are destructive, annoying, or injurious to health.
- A person considered loathsome or highly offensive.
- Such people considered as a group.
I have always detested companies that use pop-ups/unders and vowed to never do business with them but it's gotten worse. Vermin like TribalFusion and Zedo not only serve pop-ups, they have found a way to circumvent pop-up blockers running on both Firefox and IE from a variety of companies such as Google and Microsoft. I believe in the "New Media Deal" ideas put forth by Matt Blumberg. By no means am I anti-advertising. Quite the contrary as I've been a big supporter.
I hope others can help my little battle to make the vermin who serve and pay for these ads suffer in the market. I've created a del.icio.us tag "advermin" where I'm tagging any company that serves or runs ads. Sexual predators have been thwarted by various registries that let people know about them. Perhaps this tag/registry will thwart the Internet Advertising Predators who are damaging the landscape for legitimate advertisers. If you have the experience I've had, tag the perpetrator with the advermin tag. I've started the registry with the following:
- Pop-up Servers: TribalFusion, Zedo, Casalemedia, Fastclick
- Advertisers: Classmates, yourgiftcards.com (promoting Chilis Restaurant, Ruby Tuesday & Red Lobster coupons and a Visa Gift Card -- if I was a brand steward for any of those, I'd get them to stop as the ads look like they are coming from those companies), screensavers.com, everyfreegift.com